C4CW provides offerings both for individuals, and for systems, organizations, and communities, who want to explore how Living Collective Wisdom can improve their impact in the world.
For Organizations, Systems, and Collective Impact Efforts
For interested systems, organizations, and communities, we offer a three-stage process of engagement.
Stage 1: An Invitation
An invitation offers a brief introduction to the Center for Collective Wisdom (C4CW), and an overview of Living Collective Wisdom. Following this two-hour engagement, that can occur either in-person or via videoconference, participants can access introductory online resources to learn more about C4CW’s work and Living Collective Wisdom.
Stage 2: Leadership for Collective Wisdom Immersion
Designed for leaders and teams who are exploring Living Collective Wisdom on behalf of their organizations, systems, and communities, this highly interactive process focuses on one of the four core competencies of Living Collective Wisdom: leadership. Through this immersion, participants learn how to cultivate the conditions for collective wisdom to emerge in support of their work toward profound results. Participants also explore how to avoid the emergence of collective folly, and heal the negative effects of past folly.
The building blocks of this process include:
- A 2½–day immersion in the commitments and practices of self and collective leadership;
- Six 1:1 sessions with C4CW learning allies via videoconference to help participants continue to apply what they have learned; and
- Access to online resources and peer support processes to support continued learning and engagement.
Stage 3: Living Collective Wisdom Academy
Once a leadership team has completed an immersion in the leadership core competency and decides to move forward, C4CW partners with the team to design and implement a Living Collective Wisdom academy. An academy unfolds through four customized phases: assessing, readying, embodying, and integrating.
In this phase, we work with the leadership team to assess key readiness factors, including levels of:
- Agreement among stakeholders about their desired results—i.e., what they are holding themselves accountable for achieving, and how they will assess progress over time;
- Engagement of essential stakeholders needed to effect the desired results; and
- Progress already achieved within the four developmental aspects of Living Collective Wisdom to achieve and sustain desired results.
Based on our findings, we work with the team to develop a readying plan, and a beginning design for the embodying phase.
This phase addresses the findings from the assessing phase through 1:1, small group, and large group meetings. C4CW is available to help design and support these meetings as desired. The intention of this work is to ensure sufficient commitment among essential stakeholders, both to the Living Collective Wisdom process and to the desired results. Learnings from this phase guide the work to finalize the embodying design.
This phase includes:
- Immersions to teach the core competencies—leadership, living systems, community, and results—and the developmental aspects of Living Collective Wisdom;
- 1:1 and group ally sessions, and periodic webinars to deepen understanding and day-to-day application of the framework;
- Access to a wide array of online resources and peer learning processes to support participants’ continued engagement with Living Collective Wisdom; and
- Work to develop a design for the integrating phase.
The purpose of this phase is to build the system or change effort’s capacity to continue living collective wisdom without C4CW’s ongoing support. If C4CW is engaged for this phase, our work focuses on both the leadership team and sustainers. Sustainers are people throughout the system or change effort who are committed to learning how to teach, design, and facilitate 1:1 and group processes grounded in Living Collective Wisdom.
Elements of this work include:
- Intensive support for the leadership team, including process design, data, and learning support;
- Intensive support for sustainers, including multiple group and 1:1 learning sessions;
- Additional immersion sessions for the system or change effort led by sustainers with C4CW’s support; and
- Design and implementation of assessment instruments to help leadership team members and others assess and improve the impact of Living Collective Wisdom over time.
The timeline for initiating and completing an academy varies with the unique size, capacities, history, and scope of desired results within each context. In our experience, however, a typical academy takes 1–2 years.
For Consultants, Foundation Staff, and Systems and Community Leaders
For consultants, foundation staff, and systems and community leaders who want to explore and begin to embody Living Collective Wisdom on their own, we offer a similar multi-stage process of engagement. The first two stages—an invitation and immersion—parallel the first two stages designed for leaders and teams who are exploring Living Collective Wisdom on behalf of their organizations, systems, and communities.
For individuals who want to continue deepening their engagement with Living Collective Wisdom beyond these stages, we offer several options for continuing their immersion experience, including:
- A 5-day immersion, building upon the first immersion focused on leadership, that teaches the other three core competencies—living systems, community, and results—and the developmental aspects of Living Collective Wisdom; and
- 1:1 ally sessions; and
- Access to online resources and peer learning processes, to support living collective wisdom within participants’ particular contexts.